Albion's History

Aboriginal History

The Turrbal clan occupied the northern side of the Brisbane River. The whites often referred to this clan as the ‘Duke of York’s’ clan. The explorers Oxley and Cunningham met members of the tribe at the mouth of the Creek in 1824. In 1836, the Commandant of the Penal Settlement, Foster Fyans, visited the 'rush made huts' and watched members of the clan fishing with nets. In 1858 two Aborigines from the Breakfast Creek area, Dalinkua and Dalpie, wrote letters to The Moreton Bay Courier protesting about the treatment their people received at the hands of the white settlers.

Urban Development

Development was slow until a bridge was built across Breakfast Creek. A convict built log bridge was replaced by an iron and masonry construction in 1889. Until 1899 the only public transport was horse-drawn tram. The existing tramline was then extended from Breakfast Creek to Ascot. In the early 1890s, the Dohle family, established a boat building business at Breakfast Creek, and other forms of industry were established nearby. Albion became part of the Windsor Shire in 1887 and remained within its boundaries when the Town of Windsor was declared in 1904. Settlement increased with the construction of the Albion Railway Station.

Albion Landmarks

The former Albion Fire Station was designed by the Department of Public Works. A foundation stone carries the inscription “READY AYE READY” and it is recorded that the stone was laid on 1 December 1925 by the Chairman of the Metropolitan Fire Brigade Board. The stone also lists members of the Board. The former Albion Fire Station was opened on 17 January 1927. It is now the home of the Queensland Family History Society.

The heritage listed Breakfast Creek Hotel was designed by Brisbane architects Simkin & Ibler and it was constructed in the late 1880s.

Major People

William MacNaughton Galloway built the Breakfast Creek Hotel in 1889. He was a seaman's outfitter in Edward Street and he served as president of the Breakfast Creek Bridge Board from 1887 to 1889. He was also the Mayor of Brisbane from 1889 to 1890 .

One of the early landowners was Kenneth McLennan who farmed the area and established a vineyard. He was a foundation member of the Windsor Shire Council in 1887 and later served as chairman. In 1904 he was the Mayor when the Shire became a municipality. McLennan Street is named after him and Conon Street commemorates the name of his house.

Cultural Diversity

The Temple of the Holy Triad was constructed near Breakfast Creek in 1885-86 for the Cantonese Chinese community of Brisbane. Chinese market gardeners were a common site along the watercourses. According to the 2001 census 20.24% of Albion residents were born overseas and 10.41% speak a language other than English at home. This compares with 21.03% and 10.03% for Brisbane as a whole. 1.02% were of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent, compared to 1.67% for Brisbane.

References

Ford, Roger & Blake,Thom, Indigenous Peoples in Southeast Queensland – An annotated guide to ethno-historical sources , Faira Publications, Brisbane.

Brisbane City Council Archives, Notes on Bridges ,np,nd.

Environmental Protection Agency, Heritage Register Number Breakfast Creek Hotel Place ID 600057

Brisbane History Group, Northern Suburbs Heritage Tour, Brisbane History Group, 1993, p.np.

Environmental Protection Agency, Heritage Register Number Former Albion Fire Station 602246

Environmental Protection Agency, Heritage Register Number 600056

This is a list of community organizations that may be able to assist with further information about the history and environmental development of your suburb. Wherever possible hyperlinks to web addresses are given. Otherwise addresses and contact details given.

Like to suggest links or provide feedback? Please email us! info@brisbaneqld.com.au.